Sunday, June 15, 2014

LGTBQ YA books can save lives

I came across this very powerful video on YouTube today and I felt this message, even though it was originally posted in 2011, still needs to be heard today. Please note, although the ultimate message of the video is positive, you'd have to be inhuman not to be powerfully impacted by the examples shown of LGBTQ youth who lost the fight against hate and bullying.

 
I wrote "Beneath Angel's Wings" in part as a response to all of the news stories I had read about LGBTQ kids who took their lives because they didn't believe anyone cared about them. I can only hope  my book can help an LGBTQ kid realize that there are people who do care, and maybe they simply haven't met them yet.  I hope even more my book  can show a straight kid how he or she can change another person's life simply by making a decision to help instead of ignoring others' hate and prejudice. 
 
If you know any LGBTQ youth who may be at risk, share your favorite book featuring LGBTQ characters with them. You may be saving a life!
 
And if you only know straight kids, share your favorite LGBTQ books with them as well. As the video says, knowledge is the key to eliminating ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment